Doggy Blues: Getting Help for Dog Depression and Other IssuesDoggy Blues: Getting Help for Dog Depression and Other Issues

About Me

Doggy Blues: Getting Help for Dog Depression and Other Issues

Welcome to my blog. My name is Ashley, and I love my dog Shelly more than anything in the world. I have had her for years, and I have helped her through a range of illnesses and emotional issues. After her brother, Yeats, died, Shelly became rather despondent. I didn't call the vet right away because I didn't realize the vet could help, but after a while, Shelly's mood didn't improve. I just didn't know what to do, so I called the vet. She was amazing. She explained that Shelly had depression, and she prescribed meds for it. Now Shelly and I are happier than ever, and to help others, I decided to start this blog about doggy emotional and physical health. I hope you enjoy it.

Residential Plants That Are Toxic To Pets

Pets can be a great source of companionship. However, some homeowners, despite wanting the best for their furry friends, are unaware that they harbor dangers toxins in their home. These are in the form of residential plants that may be aesthetically appealing, but pose serious health risks to these animals. If you own a home garden or a yard, it is prudent to know which plants would be toxic to your pets so as to avoid emergency veterinary visits. The following are some of the residential plants that are highly toxic to pets.

Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera is a popular plant among homeowners due it medicinal properties. This plant can be used both topically as a skin treatment or ingested as a super food for humans. However, despite all these benefits it provides to human beings, it can be quite lethal to pets. The danger does not lie with the Aloe Vera gel itself though. In the plant, there is a yellow layer of liquid in between the outer skin and the interior flesh. This layer contains high levels of a chemical referred to as aloin. When your pets ingest this chemical, they will be susceptible to an array of symptoms such as diarrhoea and consistent vomiting. Left unchecked it could also cause tremors in your pet that could prove fatal. If you suspect that your pet has ingested some Aloe Vera, it is best to take them to the vet as soon as possible to receive treatment.

Azalea shrubs

Another popular plant due to the pop of colour it adds to a residence is azalea. However, this flowering shrub contains a harmful toxin known as grayantoxin. When ingested, the grayantoxin impedes your pets muscle functions and could also disrupt their nervous system. Some of the signs to look for indicating grayantoxin poisoning include muscle weakness and overall lethargy. Left untreated this could cause cardiovascular collapse in your pet and eventual death.

English Ivy

English Ivy is a popular residential plant due to its ornamental properties. Distinguished by its lobed leaves, this plant is typically grown to climb on walls, gazebos or pergolas. This plant is also quite hardy and flourishes whether or nor it receives a constant supply of sunshine. Although this residential plant can enhance the aesthetic appeal of your residence, it is not advisable to grow it if you live with pets. The decorative vines of the plant contain toxic compounds mainly polyacetylenes, saponins and triterpenoids. Symptoms that your pet has been poisoned by English Ivy include sudden drooling, diarrhoea and spontaneous vomiting. 

For more information, talk to a vet.